Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Congratulations! It's a Kidney Stone!

“You know,” said the paramedic as I was writhing on the floor of the ambulance, “they say that kidney stones are the closest pain to childbirth."

“Yeah,” I gasped, “but at least my wife got five minutes between one minute contractions…plus we got a baby in the end.”

Frankly, I think it is largely men who give the “kidney stones are like childbirth” line (I’d love to hear from any stone-passing moms out there) but without starting a gender war, if childbirth is only a fraction of the pain of passing a stone, my already heroic wife deserves another medal.  I can honestly say that having kidney stones was the only time in my life I begged a paramedic to bash me upside the head with an oxygen tank and then run me over with an ambulance.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I was in complete awe of my wife when she gave birth: no pain medication and no epidurals. But now I have even more respect and admiration for her, if that is possible.

And for the record, I am totally revoking any utterance I ever made like, “Oh honey, if I could go through this childbirth for you, I would. I really would.”

I'm not one for traditional gender roles, but I'm happy to leave childbirth to women.

6 comments:

  1. My mother was a professional sick person; she took a lot of pain pills. There are many people like that. It's just how they are used to getting attention. I always remember she's the daughter of alcoholics who'd leave her alone at Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome blog. Thanks for sharing. I have a little girl and I do love being around her every spare moment I have even many I dont.
    To add to your post, my mom, who pushed out 3 boys naturally, she sais, there's really no way for me to verify that. Passed a kidney stone a few months ago. It was almost the size of a small lentil. She did say it hurt like childbirth. I'm with you though, leave that to the women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's never too lately to meliorate your information and your listing has me.
    renalcalculi.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew the kidney stone could be so painful really. Keep well.
    ~ Herman Swan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m inspired with the surpassing and preachy listing that you furnish in such little timing.
    see RebelMouse for more

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr. Michael Traver of Western Michigan Urological Associates discusses kidney stones, symptoms, evaluation and treatment.

    ReplyDelete